Tuesday, December 28, 2010

what had happened was.....

My PCL story:
So heres what happened. Last basketball season I tore my PCL. I have no idea how it happened or what actually went on. I didnt really think anything of it until I was preparing for this season. While running and doing our basketball workouts I noticed that my knee was doing some funny stuff. It was moving all around and shit. I showed our trainer what I could now do with my knee and not only was she grossed out but she immediately signed me up to see our team doctor. His answer: get a PCL brace and heres a script to see a orthopedic surgeon. So I got the brace and I love it. I love this brace. It makes my knee actual feel stable and although I was still able to make it pivot on its own. Anyway things we're great, that is until a ref told me I wasnt going to be able to play with my brace, and so the stubborn me said "fine, I wont." Bad idea. I ended up making my knee really sore and needed to have another MRI. Two weeks later, I was sitting in Dr. McBrides office. Dr. McBride and I have meet twice before. The first was for the first time I hurt my knee, the second was for when I broke my tibia from shin splints. Well four years later here we were again. Sitting in the office, holding the MRI results, waiting. Waiting to find out what was going to happen next. I have been told by trainers, doctors, and even my mother, that there is nothing that they can do for a PCL tear, and that they probably wont do anything. I didnt do the research on it, I just kinda let it happen. Whatever they are going to do or say, it is what it is. I thought I was going to need surgery, hell i told people that I was going to have surgery, but there was always this part of me that hoped that they would tell me that what I had been preparing myself for was wrong. The one time I wanted to be wrong, I was right. McBride looked at me knee, he watched me do all my tricks with it, ran the same test every trainer and doctor had done on it. And then he looked at the MRI report. He told me that I have a grade three tear to my PCL which basically ment that the ligament was completely torn and away from the tibia. Also, my tibia drops which its not suppose to do. After doing the assessment McBride looked at me and said "out of 100 knees I see 5 are PCL and of those 5 I'd operate on 1 of them. Most people that have a torn PCL get them from car accidents." Apparently Im special. Then we discussed surgery. What there going to do is take my quad tendon and make it into my PCL ligament. Happy spring break to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment